a day with no worries

a day with no worries
Mom and I, Stoneybrook Park NY

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dreams... what are they?

I have been meaning to write something about this for awhile, and I hope some people will offer their insight to me. For other MD's or people who have lost someone, have you had dreams of that person? What were they like and what is your opinion of them? I suppose this also leads into a discussion of faith... something I am very undecided about since my mom died. Before she died, I would have sworn there is an afterlife, sworn that everything happens for a reason and that we will get signs from those who have passed once they are no longer with us... but I guess because things have not been like what I would have expected, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Most people I have talked to, like my brother, have had very similar dreams to me. In the dream, we are aware that our mom is dead, and a little shocked by it. She too is aware of it and then downplays it until we can move forward into wherever that dream may take us. Have you had similar experiences? Do you take these as some type of "visitation" of sorts or do you think they are purely psychological? I remember the first dream of my mom after she died. It was about three weeks later, and it was in the middle of the day. I took a nap and there she was, as clear as day. That one dream was more real then any other dream I have ever experienced in all of my life. In fact, I remember telling myself in my dream that I would have to call Joe (my friend whose mom died a few years ago) to tell him that I was sure there was a heaven. In my dream, we did the whole "um, aren't you dead?" thing. Then we went for a drive and she seemed very happy and laughed, and overall it was great. Since then I have had other dreams of her. Most of time we both can acknowledge her death, occasionally in my dream it was all just a big mistake and she is alive again (but again, always the acknowledgement of what happened). They have not ever felt as "real" as that one dream. Some are clear and some are not. Some make perfect sense and some do not. And I can never predict when they will happen... I want to believe they are something more then mine own psychology playing with me. I mean, if it was that, why can't I dream about her every night? I certainly think about her every day. I would think they would be more often if they were driven by our thoughts. Why do so many people have these types of dreams after someone dies? I have thought about this for over a year now, but was reminded of it again last week when my uncle called me. He called to tell me that he had a dream about my mom that day. He said it was the most realistic and clear dream he has ever had. And it made me wonder.

I would love to hear other people's experiences and thoughts on this topic. I guess I feel the same way about "signs" from her. At first, there were a handful of things I thought must have had something to do with my mom, but I feel as if those are less and less these days. And lastly, the concept of healing. Do we heal from significant deaths in our lives? Surprisingly, I had never even considered it before because I somehow just assumed from the first day that I would forever be living with this pain. I understand that it changes, and it has changed for me... if I think about what life was like this time last year compared to this year, the feeling and the experience of it has changed. Does that mean I am healing or that I am learning how to live with it? I think I am in some ways terrified of the concept of healing. I don't know why... maybe I am afraid of forgetting her. I realize that sounds ridiculous, considering I have had even one day since she died that I have not thought about her. Or maybe I am afraid that she will mean less if I am healed. And if we do heal, how long does that process take and what does it look like when it happens? How do we know?

2 comments:

  1. Dreams, dreams are tough. In the past 12 years that my mom has died, I've only had a handful of dreams about her, maybe not even that much. But I don't believe it's your mind screwing with you. I used to get signs all the time from my mom, so maybe you don't get signs but you get dreams and that's her way of reaching out to you.

    As for being afraid of healing there's actually a psychological idea that people fear healing from the loss of a loved one. For the exact same reasons you described. They're afraid that if they are healing they are moving on, or forgetting the person they lost. It's related to guilt. We feel we should always mourn the person we lost because otherwise we aren't "honoring" the loss anymore and we feel as though we should be unhappy forever, not happy without the person. I remember those feelings, I remember thinking the exact same things as you describe. There's not much I can say that will change your mind, that's something you have to find yourself, but I can tell you that being happy isn't a bad thing. You're not forgetting your mom, you're not losing her. It's okay to not mourn forever. You'll never leave her behind. She's always going to be a part of your life whether or not you're happy. You're caught in that limbo but one day you'll start living with happiness rather than living with sadness and you won't feel guilty or afraid.

    As for healing and how do you know. You'll just know. You'll feel things other than just sadness, you won't feel crippled by the loss of your mom. You'll feel happy, but again you have to let go of the fear of being happy to find that happiness. It's not easy letting go of that fear, but you will. It could happen one day, like a light switch being flipped or, maybe like me, you just slide into being okay with happiness. I know it feels impossible that one day you'll be happy and be okay with being happy, but one day you will. Happiness without guilt, it'll come, but it can't be rushed, unfortunately.

    XO Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I believe in the afterlife and that many times our dreams are visits from them. :) Like you, my beliefs changed a lot after my mom died. Having your whole world torn apart has a way of doin' that! But one thing I kept hold of was the belief that "this" is not all there is and that they are never truly gone. I don't think even death can separate a mother from her child.

    Even if you aren't getting as many signs as you would like, it doesn't mean she's not there. I think they are with us many times, but I also think sometimes they're off doing wonderful, amazing things. Or maybe she hasn't learned how to leave signs. I'm not totally sure how all of it works...just sure that there's more. ;) A book I really like on this topic is "Feathers Brush My Heart" by Sinclair Browning...real stories of daughters whose moms have left them signs or contacted them after death. You may find that reading things like this opens you up to be more watchful and receptive. There was a while when I think my mom stopped coming to me in dreams so much because I was getting too dependent on it. Maybe your mom is afraid leaving you signs will make you sadder and linger in your pain longer instead of comforting you. I'm not sure. Have you tried asking her for more?

    I don't have dreams about my mom as regularly as I used to, but they finally started coming occasionally. There are dreams when I can tell it's just a dream, nothing more than my imagination...and then there are some that are SO vivid and real that I know without a doubt it's really her. I've written about many of them on my blog - you can find them with the "dreams" label if you're interested! As with dreams, I started being able to tell when a sign was from her or just a coincidence. In the beginning, I was just so desperate that ANYthing could have been a sign. But sometimes things do happen that you can't just rationalize away. I think my mom leaves pennies in very odd places, for instance.

    My problem was the opposite of most people for a long time...instead of being afraid to live again and be happy because it would betray her memory, I constantly felt like I was doing her a great dishonor by NOT doing that...I was stuck in my pain and grief and wanted to move out of it just to make her happy because I knew my pain was causing HER pain to see. So at first, I started trying to work through everything for her sake, and eventually it became for my sake too.

    I'll leave you with this quote that came through in my email today along these lines. :)

    WORD FOR THE DAY
    Monday, Dec. 6

    Don't be concerned about being disloyal to your pain by being joyous.

    Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, Alchemical Wisdom

    (from gratefulness.org)

    ReplyDelete